Jasmine rice is sometimes called Thai fragrant rice due to its nutty aroma and flavour. It is similar in texture to basmati, and may be prepared and served similarly to other rice varieties. Jasmine rice requires very little flavouring, but may be embellished to create tempting savoury or sweet dishes. This recipe yields approximately six ½ cup servings of jasmine rice as a side dish, or three 1 cup servings as a main dish. Try serving with meat, seafood or spicy sauces.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- Fine mesh sieve
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Oven-proof saucepan
- Aluminium foil
- Zest from ½ lime (optional)
Preheat the oven to 204 degrees C. Place the jasmine rice into a fine mesh sieve, and place under cool running water. Rinse until the water runs clear, and then allow the rice to drain thoroughly.
Pour the chicken broth into a large, ovenproof saucepan. Add the jasmine rice and stir to combine. Place the pan over medium-high heat, and bring the mixture to a rolling boil.
Remove the pan from the heat. Cover tightly with aluminium foil while the rice mixture is still hot, and place the pan into the preheated oven.
Bake the jasmine rice for 15 to 20 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed. Check the rice every two minutes after the initial 15 minutes of cooking time, to avoid overcooking. Remove a piece of rice and bite or pierce with a fork to check for the desired firmness.
Remove the pan from the oven once it is thoroughly done, and place it on the stove. Allow the jasmine rice to stand for 5 minutes, and then fluff with a fork. Sprinkle the lime zest over the top of the rice before serving, if desired.
Tips and warnings
- Water, vegetable stock or coconut milk may be used in place of chicken broth, if necessary or desired. Coconut milk creates a sweet, creamy texture and is a nice complement to the lime zest.
- Always wear oven gloves while placing the aluminium foil on the top of the hot pan to prevent burns. Use a tight fitting ovenproof lid if aluminium foil is not available.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- Jasmine Rice: BU Theology Library Archives
- More cooking secrets of the CIA: over 100 new recipes from America's most famous cooking school The Companion Book to the Public Television Series; Culinary Institute of America; 1998
- Food Network Favorites: Recipes from Our All-Star Chefs; Food Network Kitchens; 2005