When you are bicycling, stay alert to the road conditions, traffic and pedestrians around you. Everyone who bikes needs to know the rules of the road as well. Learn the simple hand signals to communicate your intentions to drivers before you stop, turn left and turn right. Teach children these hand signals also so that they will know the proper rules and etiquette for bicycling on the road.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Extend your left arm straight out to the side to signal your intent to turn left.
Bend your left arm at the elbow and point your flat hand straight up to signal a planned right turn.
Bend your left arm at the elbow and point your flat hand straight down to signal an approaching stop.
Tips and warnings
- Bike in the same direction as the vehicle traffic on the right side of the road.
- Always obey the same traffic lights and signs as motorists.
- If a turning lane exists at an intersection, position yourself in the proper turning lane to make both left and right turns.
- Always yield to pedestrians.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for