Whether your child needs a Halloween costume or he just wants a new backyard toy, creating his own bow and arrow is an activity you can do together. Making a bow and arrow is a relatively simple task that can be completed in just a few steps with materials that can be found around your home. This bow and arrow design is not only functional, but is also a safe toy that can be used during playtime.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 12-inch thin, bendable stick
- Thick elastic or rubber band
- Lightweight modelling clay
- 6-inch straight stick
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue sticks
- Leather cord
Tie one end of the elastic around the top of the 12-inch stick. Make sure the knot is very tight.
Connect the other end of the elastic to the bottom of the 12-inch stick. The elastic should be taut enough so that the stick arcs.
Cut two pieces of 6-inch leather cord.
Tie knots loosely at the bottoms of both pieces of leather cord. Do not tighten them fully.
Put a small amount of glue along the bottom of the quill of the feathers and slide them into the loosened knots. Tighten the knot to secure the feathers in place. Make sure the quill is hidden by the knot.
String a few beads onto each of the leather cords.
Glue a few feathers around one end of the 6-inch straight stick. Do this by gluing the quills to the end, with the feathers pointed straight back. This will give the arrow a streamlined appearance. The stick should be dry and thin, without tree knots or gnarls.
Roll a small ball of modelling clay.
Push the featherless end of the stick into the modelling clay ball. This makes the arrow safer.
Tips and warnings
- Try painting the bow with craft paint to make it more festive. Add stripes, polka dots or tribal designs.
- Never point a bow and arrow at anyone. Even though the arrow has a safety tip, injury can still occur.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for