Using your own natural air freshener keeps your house smelling fresh without the use of potentially harmful chemicals. Good for your health and the environment, natural air fresheners are inexpensive to make and can be prepared in bulk. Making natural air fresheners is an easy and useful craft project for clubs and youth groups. Most of the ingredients used in the natural air freshener can be found at grocery, drug, craft or health food stores.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Medium mixing bowl.
- 1 cup of water
- ½ cup vodka, witch hazel or distilled water
- 15 drops of lavender or cedar essential oil
- 15 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 15 drops of other essential oils
Purchase or obtain a large spray bottle that can be adjusted to produce a fine mist. Avoid reusing spray bottles that once contained chemicals because the residue can contaminate your air freshener solution.
Measure 1 cup of slightly warm water and dump it into a medium-size mixing bowl. Use slightly warm water to allow a more thorough combination of the ingredients.
Add ½ cup of witch hazel or vodka to the water. These ingredients make the air freshener last longer, but you can substitute distilled water if you prefer.
Mix 15 drops of eucalyptus essential oil and 15 drops of cedar or lavender essential oil together and add to the bowl, mixing all ingredients together.
Include an additional 15 drops of an essential oil of your choice. Lemon, mint or grapefruit essential oils produce pleasing aromas when added to the air freshener mixture.
Place a funnel over the mouth of the spray bottle and pour the mixture into the bottle. Replace the spray cap and affix a label identifying the spray to avoid confusion about the contents.
Shake the bottle thoroughly and spray periodically throughout your home to maintain a fresh scent.
Tips and warnings
- This air freshener can also be used for cleaning purposes. If you plan to use the air freshener for cleaning, you might want to use more vodka or witch hazel to allow the spray to dry more quickly when sprayed on solid surfaces.
- If you are preparing the air freshener as a craft project, allow each participant to design their own label for their spray bottle. Provide colourful markers, stickers and stencils for decorating.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for