Making homemade muffins from scratch requires a lot of patience and attention to detail, from the sifting together of the dry ingredients to the separating of the eggs, to the possibilities of over-mixing the batter. Making muffins from a box of cake mix greatly simplifies the process. The minimal amount of measuring makes this recipe ideal for recruiting the help of your children. Assign them the task of mixing. This easy recipe requires only one bowl, so clean-up is fast and easy. It yields about 18 medium-sized muffins.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Muffin tin
- Muffin cups or liners
- 1 large mixing bowl
- Hand mixer
- 3 eggs
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 small box vanilla instant pudding
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp almond or vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Rubber spatula
Preheat the oven to 177 degrees Celsius.
Line your muffin tins with muffin cups or liners. They make it easier to remove the muffins from the tins, and they make cleaning your muffin tins a breeze.
Crack the eggs into a large bowl and beat them with a hand mixer.
Add all of the remaining ingredients, except for the chocolate chips. Stir until smooth.
Fold in the chocolate chips using your rubber spatula.
Fill your muffin tins with the batter. To avoid making a mess around the edges of your tins, don't fill them more than three-fourths full.
Bake the muffins for about 25 minutes. Remove them from the oven and let them cool for five minutes before serving.
Tips and warnings
- To keep the chocolate chips from melting into your batter, use frozen chocolate chips and fold them into the batter at the last minute.
- Test to make sure your muffins are completely cooked by inserting a toothpick into the centre of a muffin. If bits of muffin come out with the toothpick, the muffin is not done.
- Avoid sampling the uncooked batter. Raw eggs can contain salmonella and campylobacter, two food-borne pathogens.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for