How to get the European health insurance card

Written by greyson ferguson
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
How to get the European health insurance card
If you live or expect to live in Europe for a year you are entitled (PaulGrecaud/iStock/Getty Images)

The European Health Insurance Card, or EHIC, is available to any European Union citizen or any traveller expecting to live within one of the countries of the Union for at least one year. The travelling card holder will be granted health care services in any of the European Union nations while in residence.

Skill level:


    Apply in Person

  1. 1

    Apply for a European Health Insurance Card at a local Health Office.

  2. 2

    Bring proof of your residence, stating you have lived within the country for at least one year (such as a lease agreement). You will also need your PPS Number (Personal Public Service). This can be found on a P60 or on a Social Services Card.

  3. 3

    Fill out the appropriate paperwork and submit it to the attendant. You will be notified via mail if you have been granted a EHIC.

    Apply Online

  1. 1

    Apply online (see Resources section) only if you have previously been granted a Drugs Payment Scheme or medical card.

  2. 2

    Click "Continue with EHIC Application" or, if you are simply renewing the card, click "Continue with EHIC Renewal."

  3. 3

    Fill out the necessary information to complete the application.

  4. 4

    Submit the application. You will be informed by mail if you have qualified for a EHIC or not.

Tips and warnings

  • The EHIC is free to those who qualify, so there is no need to for any payment

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.