A rabbit hutch is a dwelling for rabbits. A rabbit hutch made of wire is sturdy enough to keep the rabbit in and keep predators out, and wire does not retain odours. You will need to include a comfortable surface for the rabbit to sit and walk on. As a rule of thumb the hutch should be at least four times the size of the rabbit. For example, a hutch for a single rabbit might be 18 inches tall with 30-inch by 36-inch sides. With these considerations in mind you can plan and design a rabbit hutch that will keep your rabbit safe and comfortable.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 18-inch by 132-inch section of 1x1 14-gauge woven wire for the sides
- Measuring tape
- 3/8-inch hog rings
- Hog ring pliers
- 30-inch by 36-inch section of 0.625 x 0.625 16-gauge galvanised wire mesh for the floor
- 30-inch by 36-inch section of 1x1 14-gauge woven wire for the top
- 14-inch by 15-inch section of 1x1 14-gauge woven wire for the door
- Two prebuilt door latches
- 4-inch by 10-inch section of 1x1 14-gauge woven wire for the feeding door
- Wire cutters
- 30-inch by 36-inch slab of Formica
- 15-inch by 15-inch section of carpet
Construct the sides. Measure 30 inches from the end of the 18-inch by 132-inch wire and bend the wire at a right angle. Bend the wire again at 36 inches from the first bend to form a U shape. Bend the wire a third time at 30 inches from the second bend to complete the square.
Secure the sides. Fasten a hog ring at the top of the corner where the ends of the wire meet to complete the square, joining the 30-inch side to the 36-inch side. Continue joining the sides by fastening hog rings at 5-inch intervals down the side of the corner.
Create the door. Use the wire cutters to cut a hole 13 inches wide and 12 inches tall on one of the 36-inch sides of the hutch, no closer than 2 inches from the top or bottom of the hutch.
Attach the right or left edge of the door wire to the door opening with hog rings, leaving 1 inch of overlap on each side. Attach a prebuilt door latch according to its manufacturer's directions.
Create the feeding door. Cut a hole 2 inches wide and 8 inches tall with wire cutters. Attach the feeding door wire to the feeding door opening with hog rings, then attach a prebuilt door latch according to its manufacturer's directions.
Cover the Formica slab with newspaper, then set the hutch on top. Place the rug on the floor of the hutch.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for