The feeling of hunger with the desire to eat food is called appetite. Disease, anxiety, medications and stress can cause loss of appetite. When facing loss of appetite, you have to act fast since food and water are needed to survive. If left untreated, this condition can deprive your body of the nutrients it needs to function and deteriorate your immune system. By employing the natural remedies below, you can safely and effectively build up your appetite.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Bitter melon
- Dandelion root capsules
- Slippery elm bark capsules
- Orange peels
Add cinnamon to your diet. This spice contains a potent compound called hydroxychalcone which can stimulate your appetite naturally. Sprinkle cinnamon on healthy foods such as apples, wheat bread or cocoa every day.
Eat one cup of bitter melon daily. This vegetable includes powerful substances such as momordicine, lectins and charantine, all of which can help your digestive system while increasing your appetite.
Take dandelion-root capsules. Dandelion root is a natural appetite stimulant. It contains substances called inulin which can enhance your appetite by stimulating your digestive system. The recommended dosage is one 500 mg capsule three times a day.
Consume slippery elm bark in capsule form. Slippery elm bark contains potent polysaccharides which aid in digestion while improving your appetite. It also prevents nausea. Take two 500 mg capsules once daily with food.
Eat orange peels. Orange peels contain numerous glycosides which can help lessen flatulence, improve digestion, stimulate the lymphatic system and increase appetite. Grind orange peels from one orange using a cheese grater and add to one glass of water. Drink this mixture once in the morning to stimulate your appetite.
Tips and warnings
- Consult your doctor before embarking on herbal therapies for loss of appetite.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- "Medical Diagnosis and Treatment, 2006" Stephen J. McPhee,MD, Publisher: McGraw-Hill Medical, October 19, 2005
- "The Book of Herbal Wisdom: Using Plants as Medicines," Matthew Wood, Publisher: North Atlantic Books, Sep 15, 1997
- "The Complete Guide To Herbal Medicines," Juan R. Avila and Charles W. Fetrow, Publisher: Pocket Books, Aug 29, 2000