Your car's mass air flow meter is necessary to the proper functioning of your vehicle's computer system. A dirty mass air flow meter will prevent your car from knowing how much petrol you need in your fuel injection system. It works by measuring the air flow in the engine compartment against a heated wire. This wire and the sensors in the meter can get dirty easily and you need to know how to clean a mass air flow meter to keep your car working well.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Socket set (if needed)
- CRC Mass Air Flow Cleaner Spray
Remove the upper casing of your mass air flow meter by prying the lock tab up and off the plastic housing or removing the bolts that hold the housing in place. Consult your vehicle's manual for the exact location of your meter and the type of housing it has to know if you will need to use a socket set to remove the housing.
Lift the mass air flow meter up and out of its compartment. Be very careful not to touch the wiring that is on the meter, a slight touch can ruin the connection and you will have to replace the entire meter.
Attach the red straw that came with your CRC Mass Air Flow Cleaner Spray to the spray nozzle by simply pushing it into the nozzle opening.
Hold the can so the end of the spray straw is a minimum of 12.5 cm (5 inches) away from the mass air flow meter and spray the cleaner onto the meter. Rotate the meter in your hand as you spray and make sure you coat every portion of the mass air flow meter.
Set the meter on a clean surface and let it air dry for 15 minutes. Re-install the clean mass air flow meter into your car.
Tips and warnings
- As you are cleaning the meter with the spray, pull the can back so the end of the spray straw is about 20 cm (8 inches) away from the meter as you spray where the sensor wire is exposed. This will prevent the wire from accidentally disconnecting from the force of the spray.
- Do not touch or spray the small wire that you will be able to see coming from the base of your mass air flow meter and passing into the enclosed unit. This wire is extremely delicate and sensitive and if it becomes disconnected cannot be reconnected or repaired and you will have to replace the entire unit.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for