In addition to being beautiful and usually handmade, silk rugs are extremely delicate and require a certain amount of special care and upkeep to maintain them. Your best strategy is prevention by protecting these rugs from as much wear and tear as possible. There are several simple things you can do to keep your silk rug looking clean and new.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Clean Dry Cloth or Paper Towels
- Club Soda
- Baking Soda
- Vacuum Cleaner with Brush Attachment
- Spray bottle
Clean spills immediately by blotting them up with a paper towel or clean cloth. Club soda is great for taking care of residual stains, but be careful not to use too much. Set the rug someplace cool and dry until it is no longer damp.
Sprinkle baking soda all over the rug and allow it to sit for at least an hour before sweeping it away using the brush attachment of the vacuum cleaner. This will help absorb any odours in the rug.
Mix a solution of equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle and lightly mist the rug. Use a dry, clean cloth to gently wipe the rug down. The slight acidity of vinegar will help to eliminate odours and germs.
Take the rug outside and shake it off to remove loose dust and debris and air it out periodically.
Tips and warnings
- Keep your silk rug in a low-traffic area to give it a longer life span.
- For a thorough cleaning, take the rug to the dry cleaners and let the professionals take care of it.
- Hot water, abrasives and harsh chemicals can damage the rug.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for