Black mould is one of the most harmful and deadly moulds that can grow in the home. Once you have identified black mould, remove it completely to prevent harm to your home and family -- or both. Some of the most common health risks associated with black mould are pulmonary hemosiderosis, or bleeding in the lungs; immune suppression, chronic fatigue and central nervous system problems. Due to the health risks associated with this mould infestation, hire a professional mould remover specialist to access and treat the problem.
Identify the location and cause of the mould infestation. Assess and fix the problem that caused the mould. Sometimes simply using a dehumidifier in a room will remove the extra moisture and help keep the mould from reappearing.
Cover the floor and door openings of the room in plastic dust sheets to minimise the spread of airborne mould spores. Using the clean coveralls and mask will help you avoid respiratory problems caused by inhaling toxic mould spores. Isolate the mould area so someone can thoroughly decontaminate it.
Place an exhaust fan in an outdoor opening to the room to help blow away airborne mould spores. Put this exhaust fan in place before you begin the removal process, to help decontaminate the space and prevent any further health risks.
Use box cutters to extract portions of drywall with mould damage. Remove and install new drywall to prevent regrowth of the mould. Although you can remove black mould from drywall, the cleaning process can cause discolouration and is not as effective as complete removal.
Apply black mould removal solution with a sponge. Some surfaces will require you to use a wire brush to detach the mould from the surface. Several mould removal solutions are on the market, but you can easily mix it at home using chlorine bleach and water to disinfect, and dish soap and water to clean fully.
Place all contaminated materials in plastic trash bags and secure them before removing from the home. By securing these materials, you help prevent the recurrence of mould growth. That's good, because black mould is highly toxic and a high-level health risk.
If the black mould contamination is in an area larger than a small room, hire a professional to remove the mould from the home.
If symptoms of black mould health problems present themselves, seek medical attention immediately.