If you have a passion for wigs, starting a website where you can sell to the growing wig consumer segments will allow you to share your knowledge and be your own boss. The market for wigs is getting larger especially in the medical and ethnic categories. An online wig store will save you on start-up costs but it may take just as much work as a brick and mortar location as you make a name for your business online.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Mannequins or models
- A web host
- A domain name
- A federal tax identification number
Visit wigs.com and other retail wig websites to study your competition. Take note of what you like about the websites. Then get your sales tax permit at your tax commission office and your federal tax identification number. Many wholesale companies won't allow you to purchase wholesale without having a tax identification number.
Choose an e-commerce site to host your website. Volusion.com offers a package that includes your domain name, shopping trolley and web hosting starting at £12.90. Corecommerce.com is another site that offers packages starting at £19.40 (you will need to purchase your own domain name). Both of these sites offer business e-mail addresses, website templates (and the ability to use your own design), marketing tools, accounting tools, data feeds, Google AdWords coupons, the ability to create coupons or newsletters for your store and the ability to accept a number of different payment methods, such as PayPal, Google Checkout and credit cards. GoDaddy.com allows you to pick and choose the services you need, such as a domain name or shopping trolley. Web hosting starts at £3.20. If you aren't familiar with SEO and online selling, an all-inclusive site such as corecommerce.com may be the way to go. Both volusion.com and corecommerce.com offer a free 30-day trial. Vendio.com is a hosting site that allows you to operate your store for free. However, you won't have an exclusive domain name and your URL will be lengthy. This is important because a shorter URL such as greatwigs.com is easier to identify than one that includes the hosting site's name and additional information, such as vendio.com/stores/greatwigs.com.
Design a catchy name and logo for your website. Then create an about me page that includes your business profile, your vision and goals. Create a shipping and returns page, as well as a privacy notice page that tells your customers how you intend to use and safeguard their personal information. Include information about how to take care of wigs.
Purchase male and female mannequins, gift bags and gift boxes at ameriglobe.net. Visit them online or call (626) 388-9618. Consider using real models for your wigs. Ask friends and family members if they would be willing to model for you or do your own modelling.
Visit wigdeals.com (see links below) to purchase wholesale wigs by popular brands such as Alan Eaton, Easihair, Edition, Flaunt, Forever Young, Jon Renau, Lacy Costume Wigs, Motown Tress, Revlon Wigs and Tony Beverly. Call them at (888) 988-9447. Ezwigs.com has high quality wholesale wigs and hairpieces. Visit them online or call (877) 724-2195. To purchase wholesale lace front wigs, visit celebritystylewigs.com and laceloc.com. Call celebritystylewigs.com at (888) 954-9447 and laveloc.com at (866) 939-9447. Contact manufacturers directly and ask about purchasing wholesale. For Jon Renau wigs, visit jonrenau.com or call (800) 462-9447. Check eBay.com for deals on wigs and mannequins. For brushes and other wig accessories, visit cltradingfl.com or call (305) 576-4785.
Take high-quality images of your wigs. Include relevant information such as descriptions, length, style and colour.
Tips and warnings
- Be sure to check your business e-mail address every day. You don't want to lose out on a sale because you neglected a potential customer.
- Consider selling some of your merchandise on eBay to give you some more visibility. Include coupons to your own store with each eBay purchase.
- Encourage customers to write product reviews of your merchandise in exchange for a coupon.
- When purchasing your inventory, use a card that offers a rewards program such as cash back or air miles. Depending on how much inventory you purchase, you may earn two or three free flights per year.
- Keep records of all your purchases for supplies and inventory.
- Visit the IRS website and familiarise yourself with your tax obligations.
- Submit your product to Google
- Submit your website to Shopzilla.com
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for