Is your itchy skin keeping you awake at night? Would you do anything to find a cure for your itchy skin? To cure itchy skin, you must treat not only the itchy symptoms, but also the cause. The most common cause of itchy skin is dryness. Skin dryness can have both physical and environmental causes. Cold weather, dry air, harsh soap, and sensitive skin can all result in dry, itchy skin. The following steps will help you get your skin back to healthy, moisturised and non-itchy condition.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Moisturising Cream for Dry Skin
- Colloidal Oatmeal Powder
- Fragrance-free Soaps and Detergents
- Hydrocortisone Cream
Moisturise your skin at least twice a day, especially after bathing, using a moisturising cream formulated for dry skin. Damp skin retains moisture better than dry skin.
Take shorter, cooler showers or baths. Long, hot showers or baths can dry out skin and cause irritation.
Take colloidal oatmeal baths. Colloidal oatmeal is soothing to itchy skin. Colloidal oatmeal bath powders are readily available at most chain and drug stores.
Switch to mild and fragrance-free soaps and detergents. Harsh soaps and detergents can strip your skin of necessary oils, making skin dry, tight, and itchy. Sensitive skin can be further irritated by fragrances.
Put a humidifier in your bedroom. Dry, itchy skin can be worsened by dry air, especially in winter. A humidifier on while you sleep will add the necessary moisture into the air.
Avoid scratching. Scratching can irritate and break skin, making the itching worse and creating an environment where infections can thrive.
Apply hydrocortisone creams for quick relief. Hydrocortisone cream or ointment can be applied to itchy areas in moderation to quickly stop itching.
Tips and warnings
- See a doctor if your skin is red or inflamed, or if itching is accompanied by hives, to rule out the possibility of an allergic reaction.
- See a doctor if your itchy skin is accompanied by fever, cough, or flu-like symptoms. This could be indicative of more serious conditions.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for