Pregnancy models are needed for the pages of parenting magazines, for runway fashion shows and wearing maternity clothes in catalogues. As the maternity industry grows, the demand for pregnant models is also increasing. Finding this type of work is not easy. However, the rewards are well worth the effort for women who are motivated and committed to breaking into modelling.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Money for a Photographer
- Clothes to Wear in a Photo Shoot
- Cover Letter
Start investigating opportunities early in your pregnancy. Seek out local modelling agencies that work with pregnant women and begin communicating with them. Make sure that the agencies you contact are reputable. Ask for recommendations of other agencies in the area if they do not handle maternity models.
Find a good photographer who can help you create your modelling portfolio. Make sure she has experience in working with pregnant women, so she will know how to accentuate your body. Pregnancy photo shoots have become popular among families looking for keepsakes, and many photographers now specialise in them. Look for a photographer who also knows how to put together modelling portfolios.
Get a photo shoot done after your belly starts growing and you are visibly pregnant. Have a number of head shots as well as full body shots taken in multiple outfits. Make sure that they show off your belly and other parts of your body that change during pregnancy, because that is what maternity modelling agencies will be focusing on.
Submit your portfolio to local agencies that work with pregnancy models. Contact as many as possible to increase your chances of finding work. Include a cover letter with your photos when you send them. Attend interviews and any casting calls that you are sent to.
Seek out other opportunities that require little or no experience. Local businesses and organisations often advertise their needs for maternity models on websites like Craigslist and in newspapers. Consider modelling for art students if you don't mind being nude. Look for contests to enter on the internet and in pregnancy magazines.
Contact national modelling agencies once you have gained a little experience. Create a modelling resume to send to them, or update it if you already have one. Submit your information to Expecting Models, which is the largest agency in the United States that focuses on maternity models.
Tips and warnings
- If you're in the UK, Pregnant Pause is a major modelling agency that you can try to work for.
- Never pay a modelling agency to work with you. If they ask for money, it is a red flag that they are running a scam. Be wary if you are required to pay up front for a shoot with their photographer. Do some background research if you uncertain.
- Don't give up after being turned down for a few jobs if this is something you really want to do. Handling rejection well is a necessary part of modelling.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for