How to Report Job Discrimination

Written by donna ferrier
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
How to Report Job Discrimination
Know how to file a discrimination complaint should the need arise (business world image by Leticia Wilson from

Most people value their jobs for putting food on their tables and providing financial security. If an employer discriminates against you, deciding whether to file a complaint or lawsuit can be difficult. You may wrestle with whether you have a viable claim, and whether you'll have to give up your job to file the complaint. If, however, you've considered your options and decide you want to file, you'll need to understand the procedures to follow.

Skill level:

Other People Are Reading


  1. 1

    Follow your company's policy for reporting the discrimination as quickly as possible, according to the Workers Rights Manual on the Labor Education and Research Center website. Begin reporting with your direct supervisor, according to the article titled, "The Issue of Discrimination in the Workplace," on the Anonymous Employee website. Set up a meeting time with her to present your concerns, noting any specific examples of the discrimination you've experienced. Present any incriminating written records, says the Workers Rights Manual.

  2. 2

    If your employer discriminated against you under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination Employment Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act or the Rehabilitation Act, report the alleged incident to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), either by mail or in person, says the Workers Rights Manual if your company has no formal complaint policy, or if your employer is not going to solve the problem to your satisfaction. Ask an agency to file the claim on your behalf if you're concerned about protection, says the Anonymous Employee site. Be sure to report the incident within 300 days from the date it occurred, says the Workers Rights Manual. If your employer discriminated against you under the Equal Pay Act, you can file a lawsuit without going through EEOC first, within two years from the date you received the last paycheck in question.

  3. 3

    File a complaint with the Washington State Human Rights Commission (WSHRC) if your employer discriminated against you under the Washington Law Against Discrimination, and if your employer has at least eight employees, within six months of the alleged incident, according to the Workers Rights Manual. Visit the WSHRC in person or call the office.

  4. 4

    Include the following information in your complaint, whether state or federal, says the Workers Rights Manual: your name and contact information; your employer's name and contact information; the number of employees your employer has; a description of the event in question; and the dates of the incident.

Don't Miss

  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.