Chilli oil can help you make many spicy dishes. It is a key ingredient in spicy Chinese food. Chilli oil also makes a great condiment for dishes, even those relying mainly on vegetables. Making chilli oil is an easy process. It requires limited ingredients that are readily available at most grocery stores. By following these step-by-step directions, you can make chilli oil to spice up any meal.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Dry chillies
- Food processor
- Olive oil
- Pickling jar
Wear gloves to avoid getting the chilli oil on your hands or anywhere else you may touch. Cut the stems of 10 dry chillies and remove all the seeds. Chop in the food processor. The dried peppers should be processed until they are small, thin flakes.
Pour the chilli flakes into the pickling jar.
Heat one cup of olive oil over medium high heat until it begins smoking. There is no need to stir. Cook for one additional minute. Allow to cool for approximately 5 minutes.
Pour the oil over the chilli flakes in the jar.
Allow the oil to cool. Strain out the chilli flakes. Pour into a serving container and use as a condiment for dishes of your choice.
How to Make Your Own Chili Oil
Tips and warnings
- The chilli flakes can be reused to make other spicy dishes or to make more oil. With each use the heat of the chillies will be milder.
- Do not touch your eyes or mouth while preparing the oil.
- Although olive oil has a high smoking point and does not usually burn, do not leave the oil unattended during the cooking process.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for