Chenille is a delicate fabric and should be handled with care. Because of its tufted construction, care should be used to not over agitate the fabric while cleaning. Also, light-coloured chenille has a tendency to "brown" if over-wet. Therefore, the cleaning techs at Nutley, New Jersey-based Elegant Cleaning Services recommend a low moisture method when cleaning chenille.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Upholstery shampoo
- Terry cloth towels
Pick speciality upholstery shampoo; it's available at most home improvement stores. You should take care to purchase shampoo for hand or foam cleaning. Avoid purchasing upholstery shampoo that will need a steam machine. Read the recommended fabrics for the shampoo, making sure to choose one that specifies itself as safe for chenille.
Mix the shampoo as per the manufacturers recommendations. Always pretest in an inconspicuous area to make sure the cleaning solution will not have an adverse reaction with the fabric.
Agitate the solution to form lots of suds. Wring out the sponge. Scoop up some suds. Gently apply them to the chenille fabric. The key here is to lightly and evenly wet the fabric with the shampoo foam.
Blot excess moisture and soil from the fabric with a clean terry cloth towel.
Repeat steps two and three, working small sections of the couch at a time.
Stand up any cushions or pillows to dry. Keep pets and children away from the couch until it is fully dry.
Tips and warnings
- Clean a cushion and allow it to dry before attempting to clean a chenille couch. Make sure your solution is compatible with the fabric.
- If water rings or brown spots persist after cleaning, purchase a brownout or anti-yellow concentrate from a carpet cleaning supplier.
- Avoid excessive agitation, as this can damage chenille while wet.
- Avoid over wetting chenille, it can dry with water rings.
- Before attempting to clean any upholstery, check for a cleaning label with the following codes: S means solvent only (dry cleaning). S/W means the fabric can be either solvent cleaned or wet cleaned with a water based shampoo, as described above. W means that wet based cleaning is the preferred method.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for