Pork cube steak is a cut of meat from the sirloin of the pig. The meat is pressed by a special machine that breaks the fibres in the steak, tenderising the meat and increasing juiciness. The machine imprints tiny cubes on the meat, which is the origin of the name "cube steak." This recipe yields six pork cube steaks and will serve six people.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 0.907kg. pork cube steak
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp flour
- 3 large onions
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Cooked white rice
Cut 0.907kg. of pork cube steak into six 142gr portions, and then lightly sprinkle salt and pepper onto both the top and bottom sides of each piece. Pour ¼ cup of vegetable oil into a large skillet and place on the burner over medium heat.
Dredge each piece of pork cube steak in flour, and then transfer them into the skillet. Cook each piece for four minutes on each side, or until browned. Transfer the browned steaks to a platter.
Cut 3 large onions into thin slices and transfer them into the skillet. Cook them for about three minutes, or until they are wilted. Reduce the heat to low and sprinkle 1 tbsp of flour onto the onions and continue cooking, stirring constantly.
Cook the onions and flour for four minutes, and then add 2 cups of chicken stock to the skillet. Continue stirring, and increase the heat to medium-high until the stock comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to low.
Transfer the steaks back to the skillet and simmer for 45 minutes. Move the steaks to a platter and season the gravy with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the pork cube steaks over white rice coated in gravy.
Tips and warnings
- Water can be used in place of chicken stock if desired or necessary.
- Stir constantly from the time the flour is mixed with the onions until the steaks are added to the gravy. Lumps of uncooked flour can be left throughout the gravy if stirring is not maintained.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for