If you're on a gluten free diet, you probably thought you'd have to give up croissants completely. These gluten free croissants aren't as flaky as the real thing, but they are delicious and very comparable.
Cream the softened butter, cream cheese and cottage cheese in a large mixing bowl until whipped. While mixing, add the gluten free flour mix, 2 tablespoons of the sweet rice flour, xanthan gum, cream of tartar, baking soda and sugar. Continue mixing until dough forms (about 3 or 4 minutes). Place dough in storage bag and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Grate the frozen butter and put it into a freezer-safe storage bag, then return to the freezer until ready to use.
Place the parchment paper, remaining sweet flour rice, frozen butter, and rolling pin on a rolling surface. Divide the dough into fourths. Work with 1/4 at a time and refrigerate the rest.
Cover dough with sweet rice flour and place between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll as thin as possible.
Sprinkle middle of the dough with the grated frozen butter. Fold the bottom third of the dough over the middle third. Sprinkle more frozen butter over the folded part. Fold down the top third to cover the centre and the butter. Dust dough with flour and repeat.
Roll dough out again, lift the parchment paper, and cut the dough in half. Divide each half into triangles. At this point, you may fill the croissants if you wish. Roll each croissant up from the wide end, and seal with the beaten egg. Brush the whole pastry with the beaten egg for shine.
Bake at 190 degrees Cor 18 to 22 minutes or until croissants are golden brown.
The frozen butter will store forever in the freezer. The dough will store in the refrigerator for two days. Keep the dough as cold as possible while working with it.
Tips and warnings
- The frozen butter will store forever in the freezer.
- The dough will store in the refrigerator for two days.
- Keep the dough as cold as possible while working with it.
Things you need
- 1 stick of butter, slightly softened
- 1 stick of butter, frozen
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp gluten free cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp gluten free cream cheese
- 1 cup gluten free flour mix (rice or sorghum based)
- 2 tbsp sweet rice flour + additional 1 ½ cups for rolling
- 1 ½ tsp xanthan gum
- ¾ tsp cream of tartar
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tbsp sugar
- 1 or 2 beaten eggs, for sealing the croissants
- Parchment paper
- Rolling pin
- Large mixing bowl and mixer