Making fairy house is a great project for children who love to plan these whimsical residences. The small details that are put into these houses can make each one distinctive.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Shoe boxes
- Paper to decorate the house
- Scraps of old wall paper
- Masking tape
- Outdoor items to decorate the house
Decorate each shoe box as a different room in your house. You should decorate the rooms using the bottom of the box as the back wall of the fairy house.
Use tissue paper or scrapbook paper to wallpaper the walls.
Cut doors and windows into the sides of the shoe boxes.
Staple the shoe boxes together to form a two-story house. If you use four shoe boxes, you will have two on the bottom floor and two on the top.
Tape the end edges of the shoe boxes together with masking tape for a more pleasing look. Paint the tape so that it blends in with the decor of your fairy house.
Accessorize your fairy house with pine cones, pebbles and flowers to give your fairy house a natural feel.
Tips and warnings
- Mounting your shoe box against the wall with masking tape will prevent it from falling over when you play with it.
- You can make miniature pictures to hang on the wall out of postage stamps. These extra little details really make the house stand out.
- Painting the outside of the house can add more detail to your house. You may consider going with natural colors for a wood fairy or go the glittery route for other types of fairies.