Seat belts are one of a car's most integral safety features. If your seat belt has become old and frayed, or if the buckle has ceased to work, you are placing yourself at an increased risk for serious injury in an accident. Fortunately, you can replace the seat belts on a Toyota Corolla, or any other car, quickly and easily. Replacement seat belts are available at any auto store or you can order custom seat belts for your Toyota Corolla online.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Flathead screwdriver
- Phillips head screwdriver
- Socket set
- Box wrench
- Replacement seat belt
Follow the harness side of your seat belt (this is the side you pull across your shoulder and lap to connect to the anchor side) to the points where it connects to the car frame.
Using a flat head and Phillips screwdriver, unscrew and pry off any plastic housing that is covering the bolt connections. Select a socket that will fit the bolt and attach the wrench to the bolt.
Feel underneath the car for the other end of the seat belt bolt. Fit a box wrench to the nut and hold it still while unscrewing the bolt with the socket wrench inside the car.
Unbolt the shoulder attachment of the harness with a socket wrench. Remove the harness side seat belt from your Toyota Corolla.
Install the new harness side seat belt by reversing the removal steps, however, make sure to use the new hardware provided with your replacement belt.
Feel down at the bottom of the anchor side of your old seat belt. There will be one bolt and nut attaching it to the bottom of the car. Remove the bolt using a socket and box wrench.
Install the replacement anchor side. Before you tighten the bolt, connect the seat belt and make sure that you have the anchor side facing the correct direction to receive the harness. When it is right, tighten the bolt.
Tips and warnings
- Often a seat belt will only need the harness side replaced as the buckle on it will have worn out or jammed, or it will have ceased to retract into place when worn.
- In most states not only are all vehicles required to have seat belts, but any replacement belt must match the original one that the car came with. If your Toyota Corolla originally had a three-point seat belt (shoulder and lap) then you should not replace it with just a lap belt.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for