Cleaning your car's windscreen (called a windshield in the United States) is one of the most important car care jobs you will do. A dulled or dirty windscreen not only looks unsightly, it can be a serious safety hazard. You may not notice how dirty the glass has become, and how much it impairs your road vision until visibility gets very poor. It is important to clean the glass frequently for safety purposes. You don't need expensive cleaners, and the process should not take more than 30 minutes.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Automotive glass cleaner
- Microfiber cloths
- White vinegar
Wipe down the interior windscreen with a dry microfiber cloth. Spray the entire surface of the interior with automotive glass cleaner.
Turn the microfiber cloth to the clean side. Wipe the windscreen all around the top edges. This prevents dirt stuck in this area from travelling down and dirtying the glass after you've cleaned. Switch to a clean cloth.
Spray the inside edges of the windscreen again and wipe them down. Wipe the larger surface of the glass, spraying with more cleaner as necessary. Wipe it over once more with a dry cloth.
Wipe off one side of the exterior windscreen with a cloth. Spray the area with the glass cleaner and wash it off with a hose. Dry with a towel and then do the other side of the windscreen in the same manner.
Pour a little white vinegar on a clean microfiber towel. Go over the interior and exterior windscreen with the vinegar to clarify the glass and make it sparkling clean.
Tips and warnings
- For difficult-to-remove grime, such as dried bird droppings, soap up the windshield with a mild dish soap and warm water. Let it soak a while before wiping it off with a damp, non-abrasive sponge.
- Don't use ammonia-based cleaners if you have tinted windows.
- Never use abrasive sponges on automotive glass, no matter how dirty they appear.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for