After a night of partying and drinking, many people wake up to a dreaded hangover--headache, dry mouth, vomiting and nausea. Hangovers are caused by dehydration, which leads to nausea, headaches and other ailments. To treat hangover nausea, it is important to keep yourself hydrated, eat and rest.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Drink plenty of fluids. Since your nausea is caused by dehydration, make sure to drink lots of water and other fluids like juices or Gatorade throughout the day. Don't drink more than two cups of caffeinated coffee or tea. Although coffee and tea may alleviate certain symptoms of a hangover, the caffeine in these drinks will further dehydrate your body.
Eat breakfast. Your nausea may stem from an empty or upset stomach (your stomach lining may have become irritated from too much alcohol). Even if you aren't in the mood to eat, it's important to have a light breakfast to drive your nausea away. Choose foods that are easy on your stomach, like toast, fruit and cereal. Avoid fatty, rich foods like cheese, bacon and other kinds of meat.
Make a banana milkshake. If you aren't in the mood for solid food for breakfast, drink a banana milkshake to alleviate the symptoms of your hangover, including nausea. In a blender, mix two bananas with five cups of milk. Add honey to sweeten the drink. The bananas will restore your electrolytes and potassium, which are often depleted after heavy drinking. The milk will soothe your stomach and help keep you hydrated. And the honey will help boost your blood sugar levels.
Take a stomach relief medicine. Stomach relief medicines, like Pepto Bismol tablets, help treat nausea, vomiting and other digestive ailments. After breakfast, take a few tablets to calm your stomach and treat your nausea.
Take a nap. After you have rehydrated and eaten, rest awhile. A nap will give your body time to rest and recover.
Tips and warnings
- To prevent hangovers, make sure to drink plenty of water whenever you consume alcohol. Drink a glass of water with every shot or drink to prevent dehydration. Also, drink a few glasses of water before you go to sleep.
- Take an aspirin. If you suffer from other hangover ailments like headaches, take an aspirin to alleviate your pain.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for