Brick patios are often a place for relaxing, eating and enjoying time with family and friends. However, because birds may sit on the wires or ledges above your patio when no one is around, you may have bird droppings on your patio bricks, and a lot of it. Sometimes, the droppings are stained from the berries the birds eat, which can also stain the patio bricks. Fortunately, getting rid of the droppings, stain and all, is possible with the proper technique.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Trowel or scraper
- Simply Green
- Mild detergent
- Hot water
- Power washer
Scrape off any loose droppings with a trowel or scraper. Be sure the excess is moved off of the bricks.
Mix a small amount of Simply Green or a mild detergent like Dawn, into a bucket with hot water.
Pour some onto the bird droppings and then soak a rag with the same cleaner mixture. Lay it on top of the bird droppings and let it sit for about an hour. Do this when it is not sunny so the rag does not dry up.
Use a bristle or bronze brush (not metal) and scrub away the bird droppings. Rinse with a hose when done.
Repeat with the other solution if the first did not work as well as you hoped.
Use a power washer. If all else fails, use the low setting of a power washer to try to get up any remaining droppings. Do this method sparingly since excessive power washing can damage the brick and mortar over time.
Tips and warnings
- Test your cleaning solution in an inconspicuous spot to be sure it does not discolour your bricks. If so, use only hot water.
- Lay some plastic or place some tape on the areas of your patio that are hardest hit to prevent future droppings.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for