If you are using a high-end webcam with a very high resolution you may notice that your video chat sessions have a good deal of lag time. You may want to lower the webcam's resolution so that the video stream can be sent over the internet more quickly. Unfortunately, the video resolution on a Logitech brand webcam cannot be changed directly from any physical settings on the camera itself or from the Logitech software. You will need to change the resolution settings from whatever software program you are using to stream your video feed to another computer.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Open the video streaming program you are using to transfer your video feed to another user, such as Yahoo Messenger or MSN Messenger. Click on the "Messenger" button at the top-left corner of the program's window. Scroll down through the drop-down menu that will appear and click on the link labelled as "My webcam."
Click on "OK" when the messenger program asks if you are sure you want to bring up your webcam menu. Minimise the new window that will open and then click on the "Messenger" button again. Scroll down through the drop-down menu and click on the link labelled as "Preferences."
Scroll down through the list of menu entries at the left side of the new window that will appear. Locate the "webcam" entry and click on it to bring up another list of options on the right side of the window.
Click on the "Camera Settings" button at the top of the window. Scroll down to the heading labelled as "Broadcast my webcam with..." and click on the slider bar just beneath the heading. Scroll the slider over to the "Faster Speed" side to reduce the video resolution and make the video stream faster. Scroll the slider over to the "Better Quality" side to increase the video resolution.
Click on the "Apply" button once you have the resolution changed to the setting you want. Click on "OK" to close the menu window. Double-click on the name of the person you want to initiate a video chat with and then click on "webcam" to use the new resolution settings.
Tips and warnings
- Only increase the resolution of the video if you have a fast internet connection. Increasing the resolution with a slower internet connection will result in a lag time between what the camera is recording and what the other user is seeing.
- Depending on the specific video chat program you are using the exact names of the buttons and menus may be slightly different, but they should be located in the same general areas.
- If you don't bring up the "My webcam" window first you will not be able to change the webcam settings in the "Preferences" window.
- You can't change the resolution settings while there is a video chat session already open. The new resolution settings will not take effect until you close the chat session down and then open a new one.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for