Even a little dirt on your credit card's magnetic strip can cause your card to be rejected. The magnetic strip on your credit card contains all the pertinent information needed to make your purchase. Even though you have the money in the bank, if the credit card reader can't accept the card, you're stuck. Fortunately, it's easy to keep your credit card's magnetic strip clean.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Dish soap
- Soft clean cloth
- Baby wipes
Dip a soft, clean cloth in warm soapy water and wipe the magnetic strip with it. Once the dirt and dust are gone, dry the card with a soft, clean cloth.
Wipe the strip with a baby wipe to remove all dirt and debris.
Use a soft area of your clothing, such as a sweater, to clean your card in a hurry, if you're already at the checkout counter.
Rub your card all over with a plastic bag. This can sometimes get your card working again in a last-minute situation.
Several Simple Suggestions
Tips and warnings
- Avoid the use of harsh chemicals and abrasives that may damage the card's magnetic strip.
- Avoid exposing your credit card to direct sunlight, as this could cause the card to warp. Avoid using wallets with magnetised clasps, as this will demagnetise your card.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for