Brushed stainless steel is a popular material for kitchen appliances. Toasters, refrigerators and sink basins are among many common items made from this material. Stainless steel is also sometimes used for mixing bowls and other dishes. As it is very durable, you won't have to worry if you drop this kind of bowl on your hard tile floor. One of the biggest benefits to stainless steel is that it is easy to clean. However, this does not mean that stainless steel, including brushed stainless steel, is immune to stains (despite the material's name) or other cleaning issues. In addition, there are cleaners and cleaning methods you should avoid when cleaning brushed stainless steel.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Non-abrasive cleaner (not bleach-based)
- Sink or bucket
- Soft sponge
- Microfiber cloth
Fill a sink or bucket with warm water and a gentle, non-abrasive cleaner (dish soap is fine for everyday cleaning).
Pour cleaner directly on any caked on food, grease, dirt or other debris. Let the cleaner remain on the steel for a few minutes.
Wet a sponge or cloth in the warm water and cleaning solution.
Wipe the brushed stainless steel (make sure to wipe it in the direction of the grain).
Rinse it off with clean water. Dry with a towel or microfiber cloth, again rubbing in the direction of the grain.
Tips and warnings
- You can clean lightly soiled appliances by simply spraying some glass cleaner on them and wiping it off.
- Liquid dish soap works well on greasy smudges.
- If cleaning stainless steel appliances, such as toasters, unplug them before cleaning them. Otherwise, you risk electric shock.
- It may be very tempting to use abrasive sponges and cleaners to tackle tough grime on stainless steel. Don't---stainless steel can easily get scratched this way. A minor exception to this rule is the use of baking soda on stainless steel. Baking soda mixed with water helps get out stubborn stains and, although mildly abrasive, should not scratch the steel.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for