Refilling a helium tank is simply a matter of locating a gas company and taking the tank to the facility for a charge.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Check the telephone directory yellow pages for industrial or commercial gas distributors, especially cylinder or bulk retailers.
Contact party-supply retailers online or find them in the telephone directory. Most party-supply retailers rent or sell helium tanks and can refill them.
Call a medical-supply company that specialises in oxygen tanks. Many carry other types of pressurised gas, including helium.
Ask a florist if the shop stocks helium. Many florists deliver helium-filled balloons to accompany floral arrangements and get-well gifts, and so they keep helium on hand.
Contact a special-events catering company. Many carry helium tanks for parties.
Buy a pre-filled helium tank at a large retail store if all efforts to locate a helium distributor are unsuccessful. Most big-box chain stores sell disposable helium tanks with a supply of balloons for children's parties.
How to Get Helium Tanks Filled
Tips and warnings
- Do not allow children to handle a helium tank or to fill balloons from it.
- Helium comes in a pressurised tank that can explode or rapidly discharge gas if overheated or handled improperly.
- Helium gas is a powerful asphyxiant and can quickly cut off oxygen to the brain if inhaled, causing unconsciousness and potentially death.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for