Manwich Sloppy Joe Sauce was released in 1969. The slogan "A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal," was introduced in the early 1970s. The sauce is a tomato-based sauced combined with minced meat to create a quick, hearty meal for an entire family in 15 minutes. Creating your own sloppy joe sauce allows you to use fresh ingredients and trade any preservatives present in Manwich sauce for a healthier more customisable sloppy joe sauce.
Brown minced meat in a skillet and drain off the excess fat.
Combine all other ingredients in the skillet and mix well with a spoon.
Bring mixture to a boil, then lower the temperature and let the sauce simmer for 15 minutes. The longer the sauce boils, the thicker the consistency will be.
An alternative to tomato paste is to use 227gr tomato sauce and 1 cup of ketchup. If you use tomato sauce, do not add water to the sauce.
Tips and warnings
- An alternative to tomato paste is to use 227gr tomato sauce and 1 cup of ketchup. If you use tomato sauce, do not add water to the sauce.
Things you need
- 0.454kg. minced meat
- 1 tbsp dried minced onion
- 1/2 tsp dried minced garlic
- 170gr can tomato paste
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp finely diced bell pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- Pinch of allspice
- 1 cup of water