How to treat black sooty mould in plants and gardenias

Written by samantha volz
  • Share
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Pin
  • Email
How to treat black sooty mould in plants and gardenias
Gardenias are susceptible to black sooty mould, a fungus spread by insects. (Getty Thinkstock)

Gardeners use plants to provide bright, colourful life to the landscape, but this appearance can be ruined by a black scourge that infects plants and shrubs. Sooty mould is a fungus that grows in thin filaments. These filaments spread across leaves, fruits, branches and twigs, creating a charcoal appearance on the normally green plants. The moulds grow as a result of insect infestation; the moulds feed off the secretions of the insects. You must get rid of both the mould and the insects to completely restore the health of your plants.

Skill level:
Easy

Other People Are Reading

Things you need

  • Dish detergent
  • Water
  • Spray bottle
  • Soft-bristle brush or toothbrush
  • Pesticides

Show MoreHide

Instructions

  1. 1

    Mix 15 ml (1 tbsp) of liquid dish detergent in 4 litres (1 gallon) of water. Add the mixture to a spray bottle.

  2. 2

    Soak mould-infested leaves, fruit, twigs and other infected areas with the cleaning spray from the bottle. Allow the soap to dissolve the soot for 15 minutes.

  3. 3

    Rinse the sprayed areas with a squirt of fresh water from a hose, or from a spray bottle filled with clean water. Gently brush the loosened mould away with a soft-bristle brush or toothbrush.

  4. 4

    Treat infected plants with insecticides designed to kill aphids, whiteflies and other such insects. Treat all mould-infested plants, as well as any other plants that have shown even a hint of sooty mould or insect infestation, per the product instructions.

Tips and warnings

  • Contact your local garden centre, nursery or extension service if you have questions regarding types of pesticides that are safe for your plants.
  • Replace pesticides with horticultural oils if necessary. These oils can also soften sooty mould, but they can be dangerous if applied to young plants.
  • Follow all instructions and warnings on pesticide products when applying them to plants. These chemicals can be extremely dangerous to plants, animals and humans if used incorrectly.

Don't Miss

Filter:
  • All types
  • Articles
  • Slideshows
  • Videos
Sort:
  • Most relevant
  • Most popular
  • Most recent

No articles available

No slideshows available

No videos available

By using the eHow.co.uk site, you consent to the use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie policy.