Homemade oil-based perfumes are unique, personalised fragrances that have the added benefit of being free of chemical preservatives. Store-bought perfumes can be expensive, but you can create your own perfume at home for a fraction of the price. Plain unscented oils, such as jojoba or almond oil, make great bases for perfumes, while a blend of pure essential oils will create the perfume's aroma. All the ingredients required to make homemade oil-based perfumes can be purchased from aromatherapy stores or online retailers.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Small glass bottle and lid
- Jasmine essential oil
- Rose essential oil
- Bergamot essential oil
- Sandalwood essential oil
- Jojoba oil, apricot oil or almond oil (for the base)
Insert the funnel into the opening of the small glass bottle. Measure 2 tsps. of your chosen base oil and pour it into the funnel. Remove the funnel from the bottle.
Use the built-in dropper in the lid of the essential oil to measure 2 drops of bergamot directly into the glass bottle. If the essential oil doesn't come with a dropper, you can use a disposable plastic dropper to measure the oil.
Add 1 drop of jasmine essential oil. Close the lid of the bottle and shake gently to mix the solution.
Unscrew the lid of the bottle and add 1 drop of rose essential oil. Close the lid and shake the bottle to mix the solution.
Unscrew the lid and add 2 drops of sandalwood essential oil. Close the lid and shake the mixture.
Store the oil-based perfume mixture in a cool, dry place and shake it 2 to 3 times a day for 10 days. The perfume can be used immediately, but leaving the oils to fuse together for 10 days will create a more powerful fragrance.
Tips and warnings
- Experiment with different essential oil combinations to create your perfect perfume.
- Store your glass bottle in a cool dark place to prolong the life of the fragrance.
- Pure essential oils can stain clothing and wood.
- Some essential oils should be avoided by pregnant women.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for