It's possible to create your own custom lampshade frames. The lampshade frame detailed here has a 15 cm (6 inch) diameter at the top, a 25 cm (10 inch) diameter at the base and is 30 cm (12 inches) tall. Adjust the measurements as needed to make any custom-sized lampshade frame. Metal craft rings come in a variety of sizes and you can cut the wire to any length to adjust the height of your lampshade. Cover your frame with fabric, shells, glass or anything that compliments the style of your room.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 15 cm (6 inch) metal craft ring
- 25 cm (10 inch) metal craft ring
- Measuring tape
- 14-gauge wire
- Wire cutters
- Round nose pliers
Cut five strips of 14-gauge wire measuring 32.5 cm (13 inches) each.
Hold one of the strips 1.2 cm (1/2 inch) from one end with your round nose pliers. Twist the pliers to form a hook at the end of the wire strip. Hold the opposite end of the same wire 1.2 cm (1/2 inch) from the tip. Twist the pliers to form another hook at the end of the strip.
Repeat Step 2 with the remaining four wires.
Cut two lengths of 14-gauge wire measuring 37.5 cm (15 inches) each. Lay the wires side by side and twist both ends together with the round nose pliers. You only need about 5 cm (2 inches) of twisted sections on both ends of the joined wire. Make a hook at the tip of each end with your round nose pliers. These wires will join the top of your lampshade frame to the base.
Bend the joined wires in the centre to form a "U." Squeeze the "U" together slightly at the top, just beneath the twisted sections. Separate the two wires at the base of the "U" enough to clasp onto a light bulb.
Hook the five 32.5 cm (13 inch) strips onto the 15 cm (6 inch) metal craft ring. Space the wires evenly and close the hook over the ring with your round nose pliers. Hook the secured strips onto the 25 cm (10 inch) craft ring.
Hook the "U" shaped wire onto the 15 cm (6 inch) craft ring so that it falls into the centre of the lampshade frame.
Tips and warnings
- Lampshades taller than 30 cm (12 inches) should have a centre craft ring between the top and the bottom for support. The diameter of the centre ring should be greater than the top ring and less than the bottom ring. Attach the centre ring to the 14-gauge support wires by wrapping them with 24-gauge wire in a figure 8 formation.
- Wear gloves and safety glasses when cutting wire.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for