If you are seeking to gain weight, you want it to be muscle weight not fat weight. The best way to increase your muscle mass is to increase your intake of the nutrients and building blocks that your body needs. For muscle, you need protein and protein shakes are a safe and relatively inexpensive way to consume it.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Protein powder
- Drinking glass
- Milk or juice
Choose your protein powder. You will find a lot of different brands and different types of protein powders. Whey protein will get into your system quickly and it is good for post workouts. Casein protein is slower release and is ideal for taking before bed. Either one is good. Taste is generally the determining factor.
Choose your base drink. Milk offers additional protein. Juices work well, too, if you want something more flavourful.
Mix the protein powder according to directions. The rule of thumb among bodybuilders is to consume about 1 gram of protein for each lb. of body weight each day. This includes protein that comes from other foods, too.
Though you can mix the powder with a blender, it is much easier to use a spoon and mix the powder into the drink for 20 to 30 seconds to mix it completely.
Drink a protein shake after you workout. This is when your body will be craving protein to help rebuild muscle broken down during your workout. Having shakes in the morning upon rising and before bed are good times as well.
Tips and warnings
- Gaining a pound requires consuming 3500 more calories than you burn over a period of time. Therefore, if you take in 500 more calories a day than you burn, you will gain a pound in a week.
- Consuming too many calories whether they be protein, carbohydrate or fat can lead to increase of fat if the body can't use them. Working out regularly will create the need for building muscle in your body.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for