Trifle is a traditional British dessert that dates back to the 1700s. This delicious dessert is as much about presentation as consumption. A traditional English trifle is served in a deep, clear, glass bowl called a trifle dish. The ingredients are layered, like a large parfait, making trifle a colourful dessert. Strawberry trifle is a mouth-watering combination of cake, pudding, cream and fruit. A traditional English trifle uses cubes of cake which may be soaked in alcohol.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Mixing bowl
- Trifle bowl
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, sliced
- 5 tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp orange liqueur or orange juice
- Store bought pound cake, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tsp lemon zest (finely grated)
- 2 cups vanilla pudding (store bought or homemade)
- Cling film
- 2 cups homemade whipped cream
- 85.1gr semisweet chocolate cut into curls
Set aside four sliced strawberries for garnish. Toss the rest into the mixing bowl. Add the sugar, orange liqueur and lemon zest. Stir to coat strawberries, and set aside. Allow the strawberries to marinate for 15 minutes.
Arrange 1/3 of the cake cubes in the bottom of the trifle bowl. Spoon 1/3 of the strawberries and the juice over the cake -- allowing the juice to soak into the cake. Top with 1/3 of the vanilla pudding -- spreading evenly. Repeat the layering two more times.
Cover the trifle bowl with cling film and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours. Proper chilling enhances the taste and texture.
Remove the plastic and spread the whipped cream evenly across the top of the trifle. Garnish with strawberries and chocolate swirls. Your trifle is now ready to serve.
Tips and warnings
- Trifle can be made one day before serving, just be sure not to add the whipped cream until you are ready to serve your desert.
- Add 1 tbsp of orange liqueur to your whipped cream for an extra zest.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for