Sometimes it is necessary to know how often an event occurs. For example, how often does it rain during a particular hour of the day or the distribution of grades in a class? It is easier to display this information in a chart. In this case, Microsoft Excel is an excellent tool for displaying the frequency of a particular event. Microsoft Excel calls a frequency chart a histogram. In other words, in Excel a frequency chart is equivalent to a histogram. Learn how to create a histogram in Microsoft Excel.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Microsoft Excel
Create a dataset of student grades; include student names and the grades 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 and 100. Enter or sort the grades in ascending order.
Create a bin range of 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 and 100 and enter or sort it in ascending order.
Go to "Data Analysis." In older versions of Excel, go to "Tools," "Data Analysis."
Click on "Histogram," then click "OK." A frequency chart is also considered a Histogram.
Select the "Input Range" of the histogram. Click on the box beside the field.
Highlight the "Input Range" which is the "Grade" column. Click on the box again to return to the histogram dialogue box.
Select the "Bin Range" of the histogram. Click on the box beside the field and highlight the "Bin Range" column.
Click on the box beside the field to return to the "Histogram" dialogue box.
Click on the "Labels" check-box and the "Output Range" button. The Labels check-box tells Excel that there are labels in the dataset. The Output Range tells Excel where to place that information that will feed the frequency chart or histogram.
Select the "Output Range" using the same steps as the selection of the Input and Bin Ranges. However, select only one cell. In this case, cell E14 was selected. Return to the "Histogram" dialogue box.
Click the "Chart Output" box which will generate the frequency (histogram) chart.
Click "OK" to generate the frequency chart.
Tips and warnings
- The information for the histogram comes from the data table beside it. The size of the histogram can be adjusted by grabbing the chart's edges. Double-click the histogram's labels to change the names. Load the Data Analysis toolpack if it is not readily available in the menu options.
- If any information is changed in the original dataset, the histogram will need to be remade.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for