If you are going to a baby shower or know someone who is having a baby, consider making the mother-to-be a baby basket. Taking the time to make a baby gift basket is a good way to show that you care and to make your gift personal. Baby gift baskets can be both practical and creative. Below are some tips and ideas for making a baby gift basket.
Things you need
Baby first aid kit
Make a multi-purpose basket. Use a large basket that can double as a diaper holder. A large basket can hold diapers, wipes, powder and ointment. These are useful items to give to an expectant mother, and she can leave the items in the basket and place it on or near the changing table.
Make a neutral basket if you are not sure of the baby's gender. If you put clothing in the basket, use yellow or white onesies, socks, sleeping gowns and other gender-neutral items in unisex colours. You can also choose items that are needed by both genders, such as bath supplies, a grooming or first aid kit, pacifiers, blankets or diapers.
Think about the expectant mother when making your basket. You do not have to put items that are just for the baby in the basket. A baby basket that is filled with gifts for both baby and mom will be greatly appreciated. Along with diapers, toys and pacifiers, consider putting nursing pads, parenting magazines or books into the basket. The mom-to-be will appreciate the attention.
Use a big basket or a laundry basket. When using a larger basket, use items such as bedding, crib bumpers, blankets, stuffed animals or larger toys. The basket can then be used as a laundry basket or toy box after the baby is born.
Make a toy basket for baby. Toys are a fun option. They will be useful when the baby is old enough to play with them, and it is fun for the expectant parents to receive toys and imagine their baby playing with them. Put rattles, teething rings, bath toys, teddy bears, board books and other baby toys into a toy-themed baby basket. When choosing toys for the basket, keep in mind that babies put everything into their mouths. Make sure that the toys you put in the basket are safe for infants.
Make a book-themed gift basket. Most expectant mothers love receiving books for their baby. They can read to their baby before she is even born. It is good to get into the habit of reading to your newborn every day as part of her bedtime routine. Reading to your baby helps her to develop her cognitive and communication skills.
When you have picked your basket theme and placed the chosen items in your basket, use netting or cellophane to wrap the basket. You can then tie the netting or cellophane with ribbon. You can personalise the wrapping by using pink or blue if you know the baby's gender. If the gender is unknown, consider using a neutral colour or even using colours from the shower invitation.
- You can find unique and cost-effective items for your baby basket at dollar stores, garage sales, flea markets, party stores, and craft stores. Wired ribbon is good for making bows because it holds its shape.
- Fill the basket with items for a baby, not a toddler or older child. New parents are going to have enough to worry about without having tons of toys and clothes that they have to store for later use. If you buy toys for your basket, avoid toys that have small parts.
Tips and Warnings
- You can find unique and cost-effective items for your baby basket at dollar stores, garage sales, flea markets, party stores, and craft stores.
- Wired ribbon is good for making bows because it holds its shape.
- Fill the basket with items for a baby, not a toddler or older child. New parents are going to have enough to worry about without having tons of toys and clothes that they have to store for later use.
- If you buy toys for your basket, avoid toys that have small parts.
Things you need
- Baby powder
- Sleeping gowns
- Baby socks
- Bath supplies
- Grooming kit
- Baby first aid kit
- Board books
- Wired ribbon