Making a decorative toilet seat is one of the easiest and least expensive ways to update the style of your bathroom. Hand-painting is an option, but découpage is an easy, durable alternative. You don't have to be a fine artist to get a great result. All you need is a little creativity and inspiration.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Poster paper
- Découpage glue
- Sponge brushes
- Newspaper or dust sheet
- Acrylic or polyurethane spray sealer
Decide on your decorating theme.
Remove the toilet seat and lid from the toilet and clean them thoroughly. Make sure they are completely dry before proceeding with your project.
Trace the lid of the toilet seat onto the poster paper so you can perfect your design before affixing it to the lid.
Cut images out of the magazines and lay them out on the poster paper until you are happy with your design.
Apply découpage glue to the back of each cut-out image and affix it to the toilet lid. Repeat until your design is complete.
Brush a thin layer of découpage glue over the top of your design. Let it dry completely according to the directions on the bottle; usually 15 to 20 minutes. Repeat at least two more times.
Let the decoupaged lid dry completely by doubling the suggested time on the bottle.
Place the decoupaged lid on the newspaper or dust sheet and spray evenly with the sealer. Let it dry completely and then repeat at least two times for a topcoat that will stand up to repeated cleaning.
Let the decoupaged and sealed toilet lid cure overnight before putting it back on the toilet.
Tips and warnings
- You can use a ruler or straight edge to gently smooth out the magazine images as you go.
- After each layer of spray sealer, move the lid a little so it doesn't get stuck to the newspaper or dust sheet.
- Bubbles may appear during the process, but they generally disappear as the glue dries.
- Decorating the toilet seat itself is not recommended, as the decoupaged image may not dry completely smooth.
- Do not use abrasive cleaners on the decoupaged lid.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for