Making a solid air freshener for your home is a simple project. Using unflavored gelatin, fragrance oil, salt, and water, you can create a solid air freshener comparable to commercial gels. This recipe yields approximately two cups of solid air freshener, which is stored in small jars and can be placed anywhere in your home.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Spring or distilled water
- Medium saucepan
- Unflavored gelatin
- Concentrated fragrance oil of choice
- Food colouring (optional)
- Small glass jars
Bring one cup of spring or distilled water to a boil in a medium sized saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add four (28.4gr) packages of unflavored gelatin to the boiling water. Stir until the gelatin is dissolved completely, and then remove the pan from heat.
Add one cup of room temperature spring or distilled water to the gelatin mixture. Stir well to combine.
Add 15-20 drops concentrated fragrance oil of choice, and 2-3 drops of food colouring, if desired. Stir well until the oil and colour is well combined with the gelatin. Adjust the scent and colour now, as desired. Add more oil if you would like a stronger scent, and more food colouring if you would like a darker coloured result.
Add 1 ½ teaspoons of salt to the mixture, and stir well. Make sure it is thoroughly mixed in before moving on.
Pour the air freshener into small glass jars. Baby food jars work well but you can use anything you have on hand, such as old candle holders.
Place the jars in the refrigerator until the solid air freshener has set, about 1-2 hours. Remove the jars, and set them out anywhere an air freshener is needed.
Tips and warnings
- Essential oil may be used in place of the fragrance oil to make the solid air freshener, if desired. It is more volatile than fragrance oil, so more may be required. Try adding an additional 5-10 drops of essential oil, if using. Refreshing essential oils such as lemon and orange, or relaxing oils such as lavender and rose are good choices.
- Do not ingest the solid air freshener. Although it is made from gelatin, the oils you add render it toxic if consumed. Keep out of reach of children and pets.