Brick pavers are often used on driveways and for other landscaping elements as an attractive alternative to plain concrete. You should clean driveway brick pavers regularly because they see a lot of wear and tear from vehicles driving over them and from fluid leaks, leaving them looking worn and grimy. Follow a simple procedure that will keep your bricks looking good for years to come.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Pressure hose
- Deck brush
- Cat litter
- Household detergent
- Paver cleaning solution
Sweep the entire driveway to remove dust and dirt that has collected on the pavers. Make sure you sweep the dirt that has built up between the bricks.
Sprinkle clay cat litter liberally on any oil or fluid spills. The cat litter will absorb the excess fluid and make it easy to sweep. Allow it to sit on the spills overnight, then sweep it up.
Spray the brick pavers down with the pressure hose to wash away any remaining dirt. Mix one part household detergent to one part water in a bucket, and pour over the driveway. Avoid using detergents that contain bleach as this will kill any plants the water comes in contact with when you rinse it away.
Scrub the pavers down with the deck brush, paying special attention to any stains. Rinse the detergent away with the pressure hose. Repeat the detergent and scrubbing process on any stubborn stains.
Apply a commercial paver cleaning solution to any stubborn stains. Follow the package directions and apply only to the stained areas. Scrub with the deck brush, then rinse.
Tips and warnings
- Paver cleaners are available at most home improvement stores, and the one you use depends on if your pavers are made primarily of clay or cement.
- Sealed driveway pavers are easier to maintain and more resistant to stains.
- Spray down your driveway a couple of times a week to avoid dirt build-up being pressed into the bricks.
- Pavers must be completely free of dirt to avoid damage when using commercial paver stain removers.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for