You don't have to spend a lot of money to soothe tired, aching muscles and warm cold hands and feet. Microwaveable bean bags are easy to make and you'll find that the project can be completed in just an hour. Making bean bags is a good craft project for kids, although they may need a little help with sewing the bags. You'll only need a few items to begin making your bean bags and can reuse old fabric to save even more money.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Any type of dried beans
- Sewing machine
Choose fabric for your microwave bean bag. Look for fabric that is durable and soft to the touch. Terry cloth is a good choice for bean bags.
Cut the fabric to the desired size. You can make your bean bag as small or as large as you want. You'll need to cut the fabric about ½ inch larger than the finished size in order to allow room for a seam allowance and must cut two pieces exactly the same size.
Pin the pieces of fabric together and begin sewing a seam around the edge of the bag. Leave a 1 inch opening at one end for insertion of the beans.
Turn the bag inside out and fill with the beans. Fill the bag loosely so that is will remain flexible.
Sew the 1 inch opening shut. You can do this by hand or by using your sewing machine. Be sure to push all of the beans to the other end of the bag before you begin sewing.
Place the bag in the microwave at and microwave for 1 minute at medium power. If the bag still isn't warm enough, continue to microwave it, checking it at 30 second intervals.
Put the bean bag on your aching or cold body part. You can expect the warmth to last from 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Tips and warnings
- Use a funnel to pour the beans into the bag to avoid making a mess.
- If you don't enjoy sewing, take an old tube sock, fill it with beans and tie it off at one end. It might not look as nice as a sewn bean bag, but it will work just as well.
- Bean bags also work to relieve the pain of sprains and bruises. Simply place the bean bag in the freezer for at least an hour and apply to the injured area.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for