EasyBCD is a way to tweak the Windows Vista bootloader. The main purpose of EasyBCD is to change the Windows Vista bootloader for a multiboot environment. Adding your Windows XP partition can be a much simpler process by using this free program. Whether you want to install a Windows XP partition or you want to access the XP partition Windows Vista is hiding, you can adjust the Windows Vista bootloader with EasyBCD to allow for a dual-boot environment.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Existing Windows XP partition
Download and install EasyBCD. Click "I Agree" to the license agreement and "Next" to install in the default location. The installation wizard will do the rest.
Click "View Settings."
Change the Default OS to "Windows Vista." The operating system to associate the settings with should be Windows Vista too. Select the drive on which Windows Vista is installed under "Drive." Type "Windows Vista" in the Name box and press "Save Settings."
Click "Add/Remove Entries."
Under Add an Entry, choose the "Windows" tab. Select the drive on which Windows Vista is installed. Type "Windows Vista" in the Name box and press "Add Entry."
Under Add an Entry, choose the "Windows" tab. Select the drive on which Windows XP is installed. Type "Windows XP" in the Name box and press "Add Entry."
Exit EasyBCD and restart your computer to be presented with a multiboot option screen for Windows XP and Windows Vista.
Tips and warnings
- You can name the operating systems anything you wish.
- You can choose to make Windows XP your default operating system if you want instead of Windows Vista.
- Be sure to choose the correct drive for both Vista and XP or the systems will not boot properly.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for