While popcorn can be a healthy, low-calorie and inexpensive snack, store-bought flavoured popcorn or seasonings can be both pricey and unhealthy, as these products are more expensive than bulk kernels and often are loaded with fat and preservatives. However, you can easily pop your own popcorn at home and won't have to sacrifice flavour. This recipe is one of many homemade popcorn seasonings that will keep snackers coming back for more.
Coat the inside of your empty mixing bowl with butter or oil. Though this ingredient is optional, using an oil will enhance the flavour and help the powdered seasoning stick to the popcorn.
Toss popcorn into the oiled bowl 1 cup at a time and mix it around with your fingers. Try to move kernels of corn to the outside of the bowl to rub against the walls of the bowl. This will help the oil or butter to coat the kernels more evenly than pouring the oil over a bowl of popcorn.
Mix salt cheese, onion powder, garlic powder and Italian seasoning in your small mixing bowl. Stir with a fork.
Sprinkle seasoning powder over popcorn and mix with fingers or a large spoon. Season to taste.
Store extra seasoning powder in the refrigerator for best preservation, though powder can be stored at room temperature if you intend to use it within a few days. Use a resealable plastic bag or an airtight container.
Tips and warnings
- Store extra seasoning powder in the refrigerator for best preservation, though powder can be stored at room temperature if you intend to use it within a few days. Use a resealable plastic bag or an airtight container.
Things you need
- Large mixing bowl
- 4 cups popped, unseasoned popcorn
- 2 tbsp melted butter, or walnut or olive oil (optional)
- ½ tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp. Parmesan cheese, ground (not grated)
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp. Italian seasoning (optional)
- Small mixing bowl