Making pizza at home is easy with a pizza stone, but cleaning the stone can be tricky. Pizza stones are made of ceramic, a porous material, so they easily absorb substances. Using soap or dishwashing liquid to clean a pizza stone can result in soapy-tasting pizzas. Special care must be taken to thoroughly clean a pizza stone without harsh chemicals, but it is not necessary to remove the natural discolouration and stains that build up on a stone over time. Many people believe that a well-worn stone produces the best-tasting pizza.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Pizza stone
- Spatula or bristle brush
- Sponge or paper towel
- Lukewarm water
Let the pizza stone cool completely before you clean it. Rapid temperature changes can cause the ceramic to crack.
Scrape off any remaining food particles or burn spots using a spatula or bristle brush. Ceramic can withstand scrubbing, so don't worry about damaging your pizza stone.
Wipe the stone clean using a wet sponge or paper towel. Some discolouration and staining is a natural part of the pizza stone's wear over time. The appearance of dark spots will not prohibit the stone from baking effectively, nor will it detract from the taste of the pizzas.
Allow the stone to soak in room-temperature water for at least 20 minutes. This will ensure that the ceramic material is fully saturated.
Set the stone on a counter or dish drying rack and allow it to air dry.
Tips and warnings
- Avoid burning your pizza stone by placing it in the oven during the preheat cycle prior to cooking. Putting a cold stone in a hot oven can cause the ceramic to crack or burn.
- Don't attempt to prevent burn marks by oiling or greasing the stone. Instead, sprinkle a thin layer of cornmeal over the surface before placing the pizza on the stone.
- Never use soap to clean a pizza stone, as the ceramic material will release a soapy taste into your pizza when it is next used.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for