Wire hanger mobiles are creative decorations to hang anywhere in the home. As a piece of decorative wall art, wire hanger mobiles can display images from family photos, scenic views from postcards or even Christmas decorations. This guide will give basic instructions on how to make a wire hanger mobile to display in your home.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Two wire hangers
- Wire cutters
- Jewellery file
- 20 to 25 cm (8 to 10 inch) pieces of strong polyester thread
- Old greeting cards or postcards
- Single hole punch
- Round-nosed pliers
Cut out a specific image from your card or cut out different shapes such as floral or geometric designs in various sizes.
Using a hole punch, punch a hole at the top centre of the cut-out.
Pull the polyester thread through the punched out hole.
Repeat these steps for each cut-out.
Loop one of your wire hangers through the other, so that the horizontal bars at the bottom of the hangers form an "X" shape.
Twist the necks of the hangers together to join them and re-form the hook using your hands until it forms an upside down "J."
Take the wire cutters and remove the horizontal bar at the bottom of each hanger.
Smooth the cut ends with a jewellery file.
Tie two to three pictures about 2.5 cm (1 inch) above the cut edge.
Take the round-nosed pliers make a half loop at the end of the cut edge.
Slide the thread strings down to the cusp of the loop.
Using the pliers loop the wire until it is closed, forming a circle.
Repeat the last few steps for the other three edges.
Hang your mobile.
Tips and warnings
- You can create your own pictures for the mobile by printing out images on any standard weight postcard stock paper.
- Spray your hangers with glitter, paint, or gloss before attaching the strings for a creative edge.
- If your mobile is close to a corner or a wall have your images facing the room. If your mobile is hung in the centre of a room then you can have your images facing different directions or the same direction depending on the effect you wish to create.
- If your mobile is for a baby's crib or if it is to be hung over a child's bed, punch a hole in the centre of your images with the face of your images facing downwards.
- Always file raw edges to prevent injury and snags or tear on fabric.
- This project is not recommended for children under 12 years of age without adult supervision.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for