Brick fireplaces are aesthetically pleasing and practical in homes and apartments. However, if you use yours often or inherited one from a previous resident, soot, dust and dirt may be built up on the brick. Thankfully, cleaning your fireplace brick is a project that can be accomplished in just a couple hours and with your choice of store-bought products or homemade concoctions.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Scrub brush
- Dish detergent
- Baking soda
- Manufactured brick cleaner
- Trisodium phosphate (TSP)
- Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
Prepare to clean. Cover up any wood floors or carpet by your fireplace. Wear rubber gloves and safety glasses. If you choose to clean with harsh chemicals, also wear a mask, and be sure your room is well ventilated.
Use warm water and a scrub brush. Dip your scrub brush in a bucket of warm water and scrub away. Start at the top of your fireplace and work your way down. Replace your water several times throughout the process. When you are done, repeat starting at the top.
Add some dish soap to your warm water. Perform the same process described in Step 2, except add a couple of teaspoons of dish soap to your bucket of water.
Create a paste with baking soda and water. Put the paste on your scrub brush and start at the top of your fireplace. Work your way down, rinsing your brush in water and the reapplying the baking soda paste. When you are done, use clean water to rinse your fireplace by scrubbing from the top to the bottom of your fireplace.
Use commercial products. Purchase a brick cleaning product available at your local home improvement store. You can also use trisodium phosphate (TSP). Follow directions on the packaging for any product your select. Usually, you apply a specified amount to a bucket of water and scrub the bricks clean and rinse.
Use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Wet the Mr. Clean sponge and rub all over your brick fireplace. You may have to vacuum up any pieces that fall on the floor.
Tips and warnings
- Muriatic acid is often used to clean the brick on fireplaces, but this is a dangerous chemical that ought to be left to the professionals.