You can purchase a ready made computer package at your local electronics store, but you can also customise your very own laptop online. With in-store package deals, you often pay for features and software you don't need. By building and customising your own laptop, you can choose only the features you want, add in the software you need, and add on accessories to make the laptop perfect for you.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Visit one of the four main online laptop retailers. All four allow you to customise your own laptop on their websites with ease. The four retailers are Gateway, Dell, HP, and Compaq.
Choose the category for your laptop: Home, Small to Medium Business, and Large Business. Options will vary based upon each category. Most users will choose Home. If you're looking for a computer for development or office use, choose Small to Medium Business.
Choose your base model. All options will be based on the model you choose. Choose the base based upon screen size, weight, and which configuration options are available. For instance, if you're looking for a laptop with a hard drive size over 500 GB, choose a base model with the option of a 500 GB or larger hard drive.
Customise your laptop based upon the following options: hard drive size, memory amount, backup options, processor speed, networking, sound card, graphics card, and colour. Mobile users will want to be sure to choose a laptop with wireless capabilities. If you have a wired network, be sure you configure you laptop with a network card.
Select your software which includes your operating system. Most users will want to choose the "Home' or "Media Center" edition of their chosen operating system. For developers and businesses, the "Professional" or "Server" edition provides the necessary tools needed.
Choose your accessories and any peripherals. This includes cases, routers, printers, covers, and laptop colour. If you travel, choose a larger case to help carry your laptop accessories. If you keep your laptop at home, you may want to add on a docking station.
Tips and warnings
- Every option available has a price listed with the option. You will see your final price at the bottom of the customisation screen.
- Most laptop users use laptops for mobile convenience and not gaming. Expensive sound and video cards aren't necessary.
- Be sure to choose the maximum for options you want such as hard drive and memory. It's harder to upgrade a laptop than a desktop.
- Never choose options you don't want or need. Don't be tempted just because an option is available.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for