Suspenders, also called trouser braces, are worn as fashion and for utility. Suspenders are constructed with an assortment of clips that hook onto the waistband, but they are also made with buttonholed braces that attach to regular shirt buttons that are sewn inside the pant's waistband. This article explains how to wear the most-popular business suit and tuxedo suit suspender.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Set of braces (suspenders)
Find the suspender buttons inside the pant's waistband.
Lay the trousers out flat and button the suspenders on the backside of the trousers. The braces have two buttons per leather brace. Make sure both are securely buttoned. Confirm also that the outside fabric or design on the braces is facing out. If not, the suspenders will be reversed when the front is buttoned.
Put on the trousers and draw the loose suspenders over both shoulders.
Adjust the braces. The suspenders should fall almost to the waistband of the trousers. If they don't, each side of the straps has small clips that have additional fabric to lengthen the braces. Push the clips up and gently pull out fabric on both sides. Make sure the additional fabric is even for both sides. Push the clip down to hold the new adjustment.
Attach the front set of leather braces to the buttons inside the waistband. There should be two small buttons for each side of the suspenders.
Test the suspender length by placing a finger underneath the braces and each shoulder. The suspenders should give a bit but not be taut. If the tension is too tight, undo the front clips on each side of the braces and release more fabric to extend the length.
Look at the rear of the suspenders in a long mirror. The area where the two straps cross should be even and not look strained across the back. If the suspenders look taut in the rear, release more fabric in the front and pull it to the rear to release tension on the back straps. The rear suspender cross point should be directly in the centre of the back.
How to Wear Suspender Braces
Tips and warnings
- If the trousers don't have suspender buttons, these can be easily added at home or by a tailoring service. Never wear braces with a belt. It's redundant. Most tailors will remove the belt loops automatically when inserting buttons for braces, but confirm this will be done when the trousers are taken for tailoring.
- Don't button both sides of the suspenders and stretch them over the shoulders while attached to the trousers. This wrinkles the shirt and quickly stretches the suspenders out of shape. This procedure also makes it extremely unlikely that the rear braces will be centred correctly.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for