Something about lollipops initiates thoughts of happiness. They can bring a smile to just about anyone's face. Using only a few essential items, these candy treasures are simple to make. In addition, they are a very versatile treat and you can add a variety of flavours and colours to spice up your finished product.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Sauce pan
- ½ cup water
- 1 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- Candy thermometer
- Candy moulds or baking sheet
- Lollipop sticks
- Food colouring paste (optional)
- Flavouring oils (optional)
Grease candy moulds or a baking sheet and put lollipop sticks in place.
Boil water in the saucepan. Turn off the heat and stir in the sugar and corn syrup. Turn the heat to low and slowly stir to dissolve all the sugar.
Place a candy thermometer in the pan and increase the heat. Allow the candy to cook until the temperature reaches 149 degrees Celsius.
Turn off the heat, let cool about 4.44 degrees C and stir in any flavoured oils or colourings until combined.
Set the sticks in the candy moulds and pour in the candy. Let set. If using a baking sheet, pour candy over the ends of the sticks, leaving distance between each lollipop.
Tips and warnings
- Consider cinnamon oil or spearmint oil for flavouring.
- Once you add the colourings and flavourings, work quickly so the candy doesn't set up on you before you get it shaped or into the moulds.
- Pay special attention to the candy thermometer. If it does not reach or exceeds the right temperature, the candy will not set up correctly.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for