So you've made a cake from a mix, but you want to make it like homemade but need an easy frosting recipe. If you have a mixer, you're on your way. Just a few ingredients will make your cake beautiful and make you look like a professional baker. With homemade frosting you can make any colour or flavour you want, because this frosting is infinitely variable. You can even tweak the frosting recipe a bit and make vegetarian frosting.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 0.454kg. icing sugar
- 113gr (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt (1 tsp regular)
- 2 to 4 tbsp milk or half and half
- 2 tsp vanilla or other flavouring
Attach the whisk attachment (if you have it) or beaters.
Place your softened butter in the bowl of your mixer.
Beat the butter at medium to high speed until it's light and fluffy. Stop every minute or so and scrape the sides of the bowl. Do this for at least five minutes.
Mix the vanilla flavouring and salt in a separate small bowl to dissolve the salt.
Turn your mixer to low and add the flavouring and salt to your butter. Whip the frosting again until light and fluffy.
Turn the mixer to low and add the sugar very slowly. Allow each addition to become moistened before adding more. Continue until all the sugar has been added.
Turn the mixer to medium and begin adding your milk 1 tsp at a time. Continue until you have added 2 tbsp.
Turn the mixer to high and whip the frosting again. If the frosting seems too thick, add more liquid, 1 tsp at a time. Continue until the frosting is light and fluffy.
Tips and warnings
- Substitute any flavouring for vanilla.
- Substitute any liquid for milk (lemon juice, rum, double cream, etc.)
- Use margarine and soy milk to make frosting vegetarian.
- Use food colourings to suit your occasion.
- Add two squares of melted and cooled unsweetened chocolate for chocolate frosting.
- Add 113gr of softened cream cheese or peanut butter with the butter.
- Add nuts, coconut, chocolate chips, nut brittle or any kind of candy.
- Make sure the cake is thoroughly cool before using this frosting, or the frosting will melt.
- Dissolve kosher salt thoroughly before adding to cake frosting.