How to take someone off a deed

Updated February 21, 2017

Divorces are complicated. Oftentimes, spouses have to split everything from bank accounts to furniture. While it's generally simple to divide personal property, deciding how to handle a joint mortgage is rather complicated. Whether you're getting a divorce or want to remove another person's name from a deed, this process involves more than simply calling the mortgage lender and making a request.

Decide who'll maintain the residence. Order a copy of your credit report and carefully assess your personal finances. Based on this information, determine whether you're in a financial position to afford the home without a co-debtor. If not, your co-debtor can take ownership of the home.

Refinance the mortgage loan. A mortgage refinance is the only way to take someone off a deed. After deciding who will keep the property, contact your home loan lender and complete a mortgage application. The person who retains the property will have to qualify for a new loan.

Bring a copy of the divorce decree to closing. If you're divorcing a spouse, lenders will ask to see a copy of the divorce decree. Bring this document to the loan closing. With marriages, this document is required to take a co-debtor or spouse off the deed.

Sign a quit claim deed. The person removing their name from the deed must sign a quit claim deed. By signing this document, the person gives up all ownership to the property and transfers all interest of the property to their former co-debtor.


Refinances are expensive. You'll typically have to pay an appraisal fee, an application fee and closing costs. To save money on a mortgage refinance, consider refinancing with your current lender. They may waive some of the fees.

Things You'll Need

  • Credit report
  • Financial statements
  • Lender
bibliography-icon icon for annotation tool Cite this Article

About the Author

Valencia Higuera is a freelance writer from Chesapeake, Virginia. She has contributed content to print publications and online publications such as, AOL Travel, and ABC Loan Guide. Higuera primarily works as a personal finance, travel and medical writer. She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in English/journalism from Old Dominion University.